The Israeli Medical Services – Preparing for Mass Casualty Situations
ISRATEAM led by Dr. Jacob Adler, Col. (res.), has taken a major part in establishing the Emergency Medical response doctrine; beginning with the primary response at the event area by the EMS units, and up to preparing the hospitals for the possibility of receiving mass casualties at very short notice.
ISRATEAM has also planned and carried out drills and training for hospitals in order to check on their preparedness and readiness.
The planning of the medical system preparedness has included a wide range of different possibilities such as:
1. Conventional mass terror incidents involving explosions, suicide bombers etc. (Unfortunately, we have a lot of experience in these).
2. Hazardous materials mass terror/ accident incidents.
3. Mass chemical terror incidents.
4. Mass chemical war incidents.
5. Biological mass terror incidents.
All the hospitals in Israel have procedures and systems in place ready for these possibilities, and include regular drill programs largely developed by IsraTeam.